We had never stayed at any of the Autograph Collection properties so we were super excited that our first was going to be the award winning El Mangroove. We read a lot of great reviews and naturally had high expectations from the resort but are pleased to say that our expectations were not only met but surpassed. As avid travelers you can say we have checked into quite a few places and seen many beautiful resorts but this boutique luxury hotel has quickly became one of our favorites. Aside from its great location (steps away from the beach and a quick 20 minute ride from the airport), the décor and vibe at this resort is uber cool. The décor is rather zen like fitting in perfectly with its surroundings and the pool is not your typical turquoise splash pad but rather a ultra skinny design piece making it the perfect place to chillax.
There are several room styles to choose from among the 85 bohemian chic suites here and they start at a whopping 485 square feet. We stayed at their most basic room which was the Bark Suite, it was anything but basic though! The room was beautiful and had a very rustic yet contemporary feel to it. It was more like a mini apartment; it had a separate living space and a separate bedroom. The living room came with its own hammock which peeped out into the jungle where you could spot howler monkeys (how cool right!?) and our bedroom was equipped with everything you could want and more. Expect large TV’s, Apple docking stations, rain showers, hammocks, and wireless phones with video (you can even connect to YouTube & Facebook).
Whether you are there on a romantic getaway or a family vacation, El Mangroove has many different types of rooms which cater to your style. Some of the suites also come with balconies and their own private pools.
Arguably the hotel’s MVP. The Bearth Spa was by far the best one we’ve had the pleasure of visiting. I don’t even know where to start so I will let the pictures speak for themselves but we are talking outdoor terraces, message decks, and private outdoor hot tubs, top of the line products and more. The spa is very well designed in its scenery and has a very serene atmosphere that really allows you to relax and feel rejuvenated. The spa offers many treatments from massages to body wraps to facials and manicures.
El Mangroove has 2 restaurants (MAKOKO & MATISS ) on the property and both of them insist on a farm-to- table and ocean-to-plate dining policy meaning all the food is organic, fresh and sourced locally. Both the restaurants have a large menu and their cocktails are absolutely delicious! From presentation to taste, the staff at El Mangroove really knows what they are doing! It was like every time we ate, it wasn’t just a regular dinner but more of an experience. Throughout the day we mostly enjoyed dining at Matiss, It has a great casual vibe and is dressed like a beach shack. It also has a pool table and swings so you can eat and mingle at the same time.
Don’t leave without trying:
- Bazooka Guacamole- we literally had this 2 times a day:)
- Watermelon Mojito- No meal was complete without it:P
PSSSTT, THERES MORE…
- The resort can organize to-go meal boxes. This really was a blessing for us when we did our day trips.
- If you really want to feel like a VIP, rent their private poolside cabanas. They come with comfortable sofas, flat screen TVs and your own butler!
- Expect delicious treats every night at turn down service
- Expect to be greeted with a delicious welcome drink and cold towel upon check in
- The resort offers complimentary bikes and a kids club.
- All-Inclusive packages available.
- The beach is black sand but the waters are calm here, making it a good choice for people who want to do water activities. Paddles and kayaking is available at additional charge
- Just a short drive away you will find COCO beach which boasts tons of bars and restaurants